325th Infantry WWI Letter 'Somewhere in France' May 1918

 This letter was written by a Lieutenant Somewhere in France, during WWI. He was in the 325th Infantry, American Expeditionary Force.  It is interesting to note that the letter has a British Censor’s stamp. From the letter, May 26, 1918…..

    Your letter addressed to me at Camp Upton and mailed April 22, received and was certainly glad to get it. Really don’t think you appreciate how much good your letters do me and how anxiously they are looked for.
   Am writing my father that should I become a casualty or become wounded, for him to promptly notify you at Swansboro. As doubtless you know usually keep my affairs pretty well to myself, but here is nothing that I care to conceal from my father and should have made this request before leaving the States.
   Today several of us decided to visit a neighboring town and hiked over. Prior to the war it was somewhat of a Fashionable Resort. Enjoyed our short stay very much, there were stores and shops open, the first we have had access to for some time, for the small French Villages have no stores, not even a grocery store, only have black smith shops, shoe repairing shops and wine shops.
   The natives use wines, beers and ciders much more than ewe use soda water in the states, even during August, fact is they use very little water for drinking purposes.
   Just as I got back from our hike the Company Clerk gave me your letter and I lit one of my few real American Cigars and smoked and read, real pleasure a good cigar a nice letter from the only girl.
   The picture you forwarded to me is very good, however if you had one made at Savannah mail one as would like to have two. Think  I could cut the face out of this one and place it in a combination identification tag and locket (no don not wear lockets, just a neat novelty, that combines the two, and is worn under the shirt)
   There are many times when soldering especially in the field, when we have to rough it, but when one enters upon it in the right spirit doesn’t seem so hard after all, we have a “dam jolly” bunch which makes the way much smoother.
   Just wish that could see you and my home and parents occasionally. Fear it is going to be quite a while, but am coming back and sooner than the Hun things too.
   We are going for a considerable little hike tomorrow and will be gone for something like a couple of days, must now pack my bed roll and get ready for the morrow, before dark. It is now eight o’clock here, three o’clock at home.
   But before I close don’t take too much risk in those quick auto trips, though have to admit they are exciting and give a certain amount of pleasure.

With lots of love,

No comments: