51st Artillery WWI Letter November 18, 1918

This letter was written by a soldier in France, November 18, 1918, shortly after armistice. He was in Battery B 51st Artillery. American Expeditionary Forces. From the letter…..

My Dear Friend,

   Received your letter today was glad to hear from you. Glad to know that you were all better with the influenza. I got a letter from Dean telling me that Bobie Cummings was dead. That was to bad. And Sam L. Also was dead with it. Well that was bad news but the good news is that the war is over. I think I will be in the U.S.A. for Xmas dinner. Say had Bud started over or not. Well Tad and Jim didn’t see much action did they. Don’t guess they were ever on the front. I never heard from home this time. Do not know how they are with the influenza. The last time I heard from Mother Oscar and Walt had it. Well I hope I will never have it and believe me I am afraid we will all take it before we get started back to the States. Don’t guess Oscar ever had to go to camp for it must have been over before they call for him. Say you sent me all those addresses and never sent the one I wanted worse and that was Bud’s. I wrote Tad and Jim, and I got a letter from Roy Wood the other day he is alright. Well I can’t think of much to write so will close. Will tell you all I know about the war when I get back. 


No comments: