Armistice Camp Devens WWI Letter Nov. 11, 1918

This letter was written by a soldier at Camp Devens, Massachusetts. He wrote the letter on November 11, 1918, the day of Armistice. This soldier was in Company M 73rd Infantry. From the letter…….

Receive your most loving letter and as usual was very glad to hear from you .I came back to camp this morning 4:30 A.M. and found things as I left them. I went A.W.O.L. to Boston Saturday night and I got away with out anyone knowing. About 15 minutes after I arrived in camp I heard whistles blowing the beat the band noise was plentiful. All the boys were fast asleep and I had the honor of being the first to holler Peace is declared and in a few seconds the boys got up and talk about raising the dickens why we start to throw our shoes from one end of the barracks to the other. Automobiles and visitors have arrived in camp. Tin cans are tied to automobiles, horns are blowing  and the American flags are being carried by most all visitors. Just think how happy everybody are as their celebration speaks for itself. I wrote you a letter from Boston Yesterday and enclosed letter I receive from Ruby. I was glad to hear that you received postals OK. And that you were interested to see such views of the camp. As yet I have not been transferred and I can never say for sure but the way it looks to me it ought to be in a few days. You can address my mail as usual and as soon as I do get transferred I will notify the post office clerk to forward all my mail. I will write you a much longer letter very soon, for I know that I owe the same to you. I clipped from the paper the words that made the world so happy at 6 A.M. this morning you will find it enclosed. Well as I am called on special detail I will have to close my letter for the present and hoping that you will excuse me for not writing you much more news. Hoping that this letter reaches you all in the best of health as it leaves me the same.

Will close with Love, kisses and regards to all,

No comments: