Graves Registration Service France WWI Letter March 22, 1919

This letter was written by a Private, who was working with the Graves Registration Service. The letter was written from France, March 22, 1919. From the letter…..

   My Dearest Loving Honey and Sweetheart,

   Received your letter of March 3 this evening and had something on my mind, that I had to tell before I could go to sleep. I still have you letter No. 18, and 19 yet to receive and hope that I will get them soon. Got a letter from Will and Home and from your sister Helen. Will wrote me a nice long letter and telling me about him getting married and buying a house and is longing for me to come home. I know that he is anxious to see me, but you’re my dear little love I know what a shock it was to you when you got my letter and when you found out that I would not be home with the division. I am deeply hurt that this had to happen and that you took it so hard. But I hope with all my heart that his work will soon be over and that they will send us home to our loved ones. It surely hurt me when I read in the Stars and Stripes when the Division sailed and in which ships and I almost felt like giving up everything and lay down and cry myself. It was a greater shock to me, than if a 16 inch shell had exploded right by my feet or a Aeroplane Bomb had dropped from the sky and lit close enough to me to raise the hat off of my hear. All the boys that came from the Division with me are disappointed and cannot get over it.
   What I was going to tell you mostly in this letter is that one of the fellows got a letter from home and the folks wanted to know why he was transferred out of the division. His father has the opinion that he has some kind of dreadful disease and was sent here to get cured before going home. I presume you have read or heard that all those that contracted a disease over here would be sent to a Labor Battalion and kept over here until they were cured. It sure did hurt the poor fellow and he does not hardly know whet to do about it. All the fellows that came with me came with a clean record, and I do not think that not one of them associate with the feminine sex over here. At least I have not heard one of them say so.  He is not writing to his folds about it and I hope that they will understand how ti is. I do not know why they had to send us over to this place, after we have went thru hell and help win this terrible struggle and than go to work and get us to come here. They never ask us to enlist for this work, but just five an order from the Headquarters and we simply had to go. I cannot understand it at all.
   It just simply made me sick and all the other fellows when we read about our companies going home. I have laid awake at nights and thought this all over and am willing to stay and do my share, but it is not right to take a fellow out of the company and away from his friends and treat him like this. But I and the rest will have to make the best of it and do all we can so we can get finished up. Please do not think that you can expect anything else but disappointment. Be a brave little girl and everything will come out in the end all OK and hope that it will not be long before I can make you happy and forget all that has happened. Your letter did not hurt my feelings at all and if you have anything to tell me just you write and tell me. I know ho w it is with you and the rest at home. I cannot explain everything by letter, but am trying to do the best that I can.
   I did not get to talk to Robert Taylor before leaving the company. I hardly had time to get my Pack made up and my papers, and say goodbye to Crickmore and Reiter, and the truck was waiting for me down to the Top Sergeants to take me away. I feel sorry for Robert for he was such a good friend to me and have had known him for several years. I got to know him when I was driving the milk wagon for Fred Myers. He was then working for Clarence on Lake Avenue, driving the Grocery Wagon. I always liked him and we always got along fine.
   So Maxies’ brother is in the Army of Occupation. I feel sorry for him. They have to do a lot of drilling and have a lot of inspections. What Division is he with? I am glad that I did not have to go up there, for it is very hard work doing Guard Duty, and so forth. We are getting a lot of feed these days and it tastes so good, and I am eating entirely to much. Yesterday we had an issue of a half pound of chocolates and a pack of cigarettes. They are doing everything to make us pleased here, but nothing can faze us, unless they tell us that we are going home, and then I will not believe it until I am on the Gangplank and boarding the ship.
  
Your own dear love,   


No comments: