USS Mongola 336th Machine Gun Battalion WWI Letter

This letter was written by a doughboy on his way home from France. He was aboard the USS Mongola, on March 5, 1919. He was with the 336th Machine Gun Battalion.

My dear folks,
I am speeding toward home as fast as the USS Mongola will take us, and it won’t be very long before I will be with you. Say Pa you remember when the U.S. declared war on Germany and the first gun to sink a submarine was named after Teddy Roosevelt? Well Pa, I am coming home on the same boat and have seen the gun. It sure is funny when yo stop and think about it. I remember when fee and I went over to read it to you. I never though t at that time that I would be returning from France on the same boat. Ma, you must get ready because you know I have not had any crubby kakes or platters since God knows when but you can bet that it won’t be many more days. We are to be mustard out at Camp Upton N.Y. don’t know when but will probably be with you next Sun. we are about 500 miles from N.Y. now it is not so bad on the ocean but would rather be home. Will close now. I am well and hope you are the same. Goodbye   


No comments: