U.S. Transport Infantry Doctor WWI Letter May 1918

This letter was written aboard a U.S. Transport May 19, 1918, but a US Doctor, 1st Lt., with the 130th Infantry, on his way to France. From the letter…..

   Frequently during this trip have I thought of the days spent at Camp Logan and the still more enjoyable time spent at Houston. Are you on a case yet? Now I don’t want you to go to nursing too soon till you make a visit with the folks and then you can do as you wish about nursing.
   Colorado will look good to me I think when I get back. Everybody is so sociable there.
   By the time you get his I suppose I will be at some training camp. Really it is wonderful how that everything is censored and guarded so closely. Even then some of the sailors tell me that they frequently catch spies on board among the soldiers. All lights go out soon after sundown so that they can’ tell from a distance where a boat is. So much confidence have I had in the ones whose care we are entrusted, that I haven’t’ in the least felt afraid or missed an hour sleep thinking about that what might happen. Thinking worrying thoughts never gets one anywhere anyway. I never did do that. Surely I can count myself lucky to not have been sea sick as some of the boys were. Pretty nearly all the men got a little dizzy at times even if they didn’t feed the fishes. Even Tomlinson missed a few meals. Can you imagine him doing that and not me? Tommie is all right though. I hope we all will go thru this war and come back together. Will soon be time for lights out as it is nearly 7:00. There is not much one can write about the trip and not go into detail but we have had very smooth weather and really would have been ideal if you had been along too dear. I don’t know where we are bound for and couldn’t tell if I did.
   If I have any accumulation of cash I can send it to you to deposit as I only need what it costs me for board and equipment as I am in this for business from now on and don’t want any time off to spend money I sure wish I could come in on you all tonight and not have my censorship on my conversation. Will tell you all when I see you after the war. Time surely does fly too and we will hope that won’t  be long. I sure do sleep well. Guess it is the change in climate, and feel fine. I guess I told you Aunt Lib and Helen came to see me at Upton. I was glad to get away from there it was worse than Logan. Have you heard from Mrs. Tomlinson or Mrs B. yet? Hope they are OK and as well as we all are. Very little sickness on the boat so I guess we have a good bunch of men.
   Did you get my instruments yet and are they all right, none rusty etc? Don’t you think I have a nice set? They will be worth something after I get back am sure glad I didn’t sell them. Well dearest I will write you more when I get settled and know where I am to be. Now continue to be a good soldier dear as I am going to try and be. You know someone is always thing of you. When you address me don’t put down the division, just Medical Depart. 130th Inf. A.E.F. via New York.

Love to you as ever,     

No comments: