Grave Registration Service WWI Letter Meufchateau France 1919

This letter was written by a soldier who was working with the Grave Registration Service, in Neufchateau, France, in the spring of 1919. From the letter……

   Having just received your most loving letter No. 22, will answer it right away, and leave you know that I still am feeling fine and doing the best with myself that I can. I received three letters this evening one from Kid brother Arthur and one from a friend in Columbia City, a boy friend that I sit side of in the Business College. Him and I have corresponded together ever since we have been out of the school and he writes such very cheering letters. But the letters that I look for mostly for are yours and from the folks. I wish that I would receive a letter from you every day. Just like when I was still in the states. I would like to write to  you every day, but it would hardly be any use, for the mail does not go every day here.
   I am awful sorry to hear that you weren’t feeling well when you wrote that letter and hope that you do not get the Flu. I sure will have to hope and pray until I receive your next letter that you are feeling alright again. Have heard so much about the Flu back home and do not trust it. But I hope that you do not get it and felt better the next day again. I was going to the Dispensary this morning to have the doctor look at my throat. I think that my tonsils are going to swell up and put me out of commission for a few days. Probably I will go tomorrow morning.
   It has been raining for several days again, and it seems that it never can quit raining over here. Rai8n and rain every day. The sun hardly ever shines. Am doing the same work yet and the other day when I was writing up a cemetery I ran across the name of Alfred Boerger. I think you wrote me sometime ago that he died over here or rather was gassed. His serial number is 2009965, and was buried at Toul, Grave No. 417 with a cross and grave marker. He belonged to the 112th Supply Train, Co. F.
   So your dear little heart did not quite believe that I had the Mumps at first and thought I was hurt. Well darling I was not hurt but had a few scratches from being handled so rough in the dark unloading Ammunition. Sometimes there would be a couple of us boys unloading a truck of Ammunition right behind the lines and would run into each other in the dark with a box of Ammunition and get a finger smashed or scratched. That is all that I have been injured and once I got a boil on my heal from marching so far. It was the time that we hiked 34 kilometers (22 miles) with our packs and gun, gas mask, and helmet, and then kilometers of that hike was in mud that was about four or five inches thick. This hike was through the Hindenburg line in Belgium from Roulers to Ypres and though Poperinghe and to Wielsbke I think that you can find them on the map when you get that. I sure do hope that you will get it, and if you do not please let me know and I will send you another one.  
   I wish that I was one of the boys that came home from your congregation. I am so anxious to get home that I lay in bed at night and can just picture the meeting when I step in the house and you are not looking for me. It is in my mind from early in the morning until late at night. The only enjoyment that I get here, is the writing letters to you, as I have written to you many times before and this week there is a Y.M.C.A. man and woman having singing and speeches in the Mess Hall every night. It lasts about an hour and then all is over with but sometimes the Darkies come in and one of them will set down by the piano and the rest will dance jigs. It seems good to see those fellows dancing around. They sure can make themselves happy and always joking. Well darling I think that I have written about all that I know at his time and hope that you will receive all the letters that I send and hope this work will soon be over that I can come home to my little heart and make her happy once more.

With lots and lots of love,

No comments: