WWI, WW1 Letter Written by a Soldier at Camp Dodge, March 19, 1918



   

Just received the fountain pen and thought I would try it out. It worked fine. Thanks. I am sending you a book of views of Camp Dodge so you will get a better idea of what it looks like. Hope you get it OK.
Had our third typhoid shot yesterday as usual didn’t bother me a bit. They gave up vaccinating me as it would not take, so now I am through with that kind of dope.
   Went to the Y yesterday evening they had some good wrestling and boxing matches. After I came from there I went over to the post exchange and run into Andrew. He looks pretty good in soldier togs, but he is kicking because they work him so hard, I have had it pretty easy so far -more play than work.
   They gave me a lot of traps today haversack, tent pole, and pegs, bacon can, water bottle, two more pairs of socks, and I don’t know what all. By the time I get the rifle and what goes with it I will have to hire a workhorse.

   P.S. They took us for a walk about 2:30 and when we got back we played games. Had a relay race between the five different platoons in our barracks. Ours the cannoneers won. You should have seen me scratch gravel.


Photo: Arthur S. Mole and John D. Thomas
This Photo was taken in 1918. There are 18,000 men in the photo taken at Camp Dodge Iowa. Together, the men make up a likeness of the statue of liberty. Base to Shoulder: 150 feet, Right Arm: 340 feet, Widest part of arm holding torch: 12 1/2 feet, Right thumb: 35 feet, Thickest part of body: 29 feet, Left hand length: 30 feet, Face: 60 feet, Nose: 21 feet, Longest spike of head piece: 70 feet, Torch and flame combined: 980 feet, Number of men in flame of torch: 12,000, Number of men in torch: 2,800, Number of men in right arm: 1,200, Number of men in body, head and balance of figure only: 2,000, Total, 18,000.


Click on Photo to see full sized.
Photo shows 13th National Army Cantonment, Camp Dodge, Iowa, about 1917.
Photo Courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Control #:2007664105 
Click on Photo to see full sized.
Photo is titled: New Camp Dodge, and shows a tent city, complete with a tent YMCA, taken in 1919.
Photo Courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Control #: 
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: