WWI, WW1 Letter, "Somewhere in France" 126th Infantry







This letter was written by a soldier in Company C, 126th Infantry. He was “Somewhere in France”, on May 25, 1918. From the letter:

Dear Parents,

   While I have a little time I will drop you a line I am feeling just fine and I guess all the fellows here in this billet are as they are all singing so that I can’t think what I want to write. Mac is here in the same billet with me.
   We have had fine weather for two weeks it rained last night but the sun is sure shining today. The days are rather hot here but the nights are cool so one can sleep well and I sure do go to bed early.
   Yes things sure do look rather funny over here. Everything is made of stone most of the roads ar fine except they all go up hill. The stores are so funny here when you g in and buy something you don’t know what it is until you get home and open it. I ate some snails the other day I didn’t know what I was eating until I had eaten half the can. Once in a while one can buy some American canned goods and it sure does taste good, although we do get good feed at our mess kitchens last night for supper we had, Hash bread butter, tomatoes, cookies and onions and coffee.  Sometimes it is better than that and once in a while not so good there is one real nice thing about this country a soldier can get all the beer he wants and other light drinks. 
   There really isn’t much to write about but I will drop you a line once a week when it is so I can. If you ever see Blanche or any of my old friends tell them I said hello. Well, I must get ready for dinner and this afternoon I am going up in one of these mountain streams and take a boat so I will close for this time. Hoping this find you all well, and happy.  I remain,

Always your son,

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: