WWI, WW1 Letter Written by a Soldier at Camp Devens, Massachusetts, Sep. 8, 1918



    

Was written on September 8, 1918, by a Jewish soldier at Camp Devens, Ayer Massachusetts. He was in the 73rd Infantry at the time. The letter was written on Jewish Welfare Board, Army and Navy letterhead. 

From the letter………..Yes I certainly was very much surprised what the boys and girls of my club has done for me, although I have contributed to such similar cases as mine. I suppose I have explained to you why I lost my furlough for the Jewish holidays but nevertheless it is not the only thing that is going to befall upon me. I know I have loaned my body and soul to Uncle Sam and though being ?? In Tachrichim temporarily I cannot offer him any more than the best that is in me. So I am prepared to attack the worst that has to come. There are plenty experiences to come before me that will be added to my list. I certainly have the consolation and courage enough to endure them. During the holidays of Roshashonah I am always present here in Shool? And I enjoyed very much to hear shaefer blowing, we were treated with sandwiches, apples and other eatables by whatever Jewish people were present. A good many of the Jewish boys here in camp were sent for holidays to some of the most prominent people of Jewish faith in this state. That was because a number of the boys homes were to far away to go home. I sure think that it was very hospitable of the Jewish Welfare Board in doing so. As long as you asked me whether the girl that came to see me was a shicksa I can honestly say that she was, but she was a very reasonable one and a good worker for the benefit of the boys and girls club that I belonged to. Yes she did enjoy her self very much here and like the camp very much…………Oh how I hate to get up in the morning is quite a song and that is about the most popular song here in camp at 5 AM. Yes I do get up at 4:30 AM every morning to play Revillie on the bugle. I have plenty of bugling to do and I don’t mind it at all……..


Click on Photo to see full sized.
Photo shows Camp Devens about 1918.
Photo Courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Control #: 2007664228  

Click on Photo to see full sized.
Photo shows Grand Review 12th Division Camp Devens in 1918.
Photo Courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Control #: 2007664225  
Click on Photo to see full sized.
Photo shows Final Review 26th Division Camp Devens April 22,1918.
Photo Courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Control #: 2007664440  
Click on Photo to see full sized.
Photo shows another view of the Final Review 26th Yankee Division Camp Devens April 22,1918.
Photo Courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.
Control #: 2007664368 
This WWI Era The Jewish Welfare Board, United War Work Campaign poster, is in the collection of the National Archives. Record Group 4, ARC Identifier 512688 / Local Identifier 4-P-250

No comments: