Recourt France WWI Letter from Army Doctor Dec. 5, 1918

 This letter was written by a US Army Doctor, who was in France during WWI. This letter is dated December 5, 1918. He was with the 130th Infantry. From the letter……

   Well this is a rainy foggy night in France. We had quite an exciting time among the boys of the detachment tonight. We have a a maternity case on fire and all the boys want to be assistants. Aught to have a clinic but guess I can only have an interpreter go as an assistant which is Hoffercamp and suppose he will be. Have quite an experience if it come off she is a pard 4. I rather hate this French civilian practice but this is my first case I have had to confine, if it comes off. We are going to do occupational service I guess and will start in a few days unless orders change. Well I hope my request goes in for immediate and complete separation from service and I can come home. I really wish I can come back with the regiment though, and they come soon. I guess I told you Tomlinson went on leave the 4th to Niece. Will be glad to see him when he gets back to se if I want one. Suppose I had better see what I can while here as it may be a long time before I come back. When I do I want to bring my wife with me but we want to see America first don’t we?
   I had another case- an armistice baby’s mother had what may be a breast abscess coming but hope not. Poor people they have only one room where they live and 3 children. The oldest about 2 ½ yeas old. The man looks like a shiftless sort of a case of human by best guess. Looks must be deceiving. What would you think with a record like that? Got a nice letter from Nellie. I am glad to hear all the nice things about you dearest, not but what I know it before and all the time and even more nice things than I am told, but one does like to hear people whose opinions you know are good and appreciate express themselves so beautifully about your charming self. It makes me wish all the more strongly to get back t this most dearly beloved person, my wife. Oh that will be a happy day.
   I got a statistic report of the deaths from pneumonia from the various camps and under this the following is stated, which since I have been in the 130 I will write although may not have much of a part in it but even that I by being in it am quite proud to see it of our regiment. Suppose that is why we are still Lieutenants, but ought to show we are not as a whole incompetent nevertheless.

  The 33rd has had the lowest death rate in the U.S. Army (from pneumonia). The 130 Infantry is said to have the lowest death rate in the 33rd Division. The results shown by the tables above are the result of 3 things.
1. Sanitation and cooperation of Line Officers with Medical Department.
2. Prompt recognition of disease and painstaking work of your Medical Officers.
3. Favorable climatic conditions. In spite of climatic conditions not so favorable now we are anxious to keep our record and know we will continue to receive your cooperation.
                              Ray H. Humphrey Capt. J.C.U.S.A. Regimental Surgeon

Am still alone in the Battalion came here Oct.2 to the 2nd Bat. Capt. H. said he was going to leave me alone for the present as things seem to be going along very satisfactory here. Well the lady has come to go to the confinement and Huffercamp is dressing so may have something to tell you about “something new”. The next time I write. Love to you as ever darling. Hope I can 

soon be on my way to USA and you.      



No comments: