American Commission to Negotiate Peace Letter January 16th, 1919





This letter was written by a soldier who was attached to a courier service working for the American Commission to Negotiate Peace, in Paris France. From the letter………

  Your letter dated December 21st just came to me this afternoon, which is indeed very good time, and right here I want to thank you most graciously for those clippings from the papers. They were received very gratefully, and I am more than pleased for your efforts. 
   Of course the letter was sent to Tours, the to Paris. Our mail service is very good after all when you consider the many difficult propositions which we have to cope with. I can assure you Paris is more beautiful than Tours, no comparison whatever. Am up at the Hotel Crillon on permanent duty with our Service in connection with the American Commission to negotiate Peace. This is one more busy place, everything on the hum and everybody flying from there to here, and here to there, that I believe the was is just starting instead of being over. Am enclosing you a post card showing the place where I am working and the Headquarters of the above Mission. You want to preserve this, as in years to come, it may be of more interest.  From the window you get a magnificent view of the Plaza, which is crowded with captured German cannon now, and in the distance is the Eiffel Tower, which you have read so much about, and which is the high wireless station here. In the back is the historical Madeleine Cathedral, and just below the wonderful Tuilleries Gardens. Gee, but this is an interesting life to a Tennessee rube, who never saw anything before.
   Just happened to run across an Atlanta Journal a few minutes ago which was dated Dec. 19th, and I noticed an account of the death of Lieutenant Evart Putnam, who was a intimate friend of mine, being at one time the assistant steward at the Mountain City Club.  I certainly was very sorry to learn this.
   I heard from Charlie a day or two ago, and he told me Lillian Lee was visiting them. I don’t have any idea when I am coming home. I heard in passing today, which is a very familiar expression with us here, that the Peace Conference may last two months and then maybe two years. But if everything keeps up so interesting as it now is, I won’t mind staying here for a little while longer. Quite a few boys from our Hotel are leaving the first of next week for an Evacuation Camp preparatory to sailing for home.
   This letter is written hurriedly, and you must look over the mistakes, as I came back tonight to work and am getting this out before the Major comes back from dinner.  Last night I stopped in a restaurant, which did not look very inviting on the outside, but after getting in I found it a very pretty place indeed, and English being spoken, so if you believe it, I had Ham and Eggs, potatoes, and vin rouge (wine) which was the fist eggs I had since I was in ale Creek?? That Sunday in August. Of course in all French restaurants wine is served with the evening meal.  
   One of our Couriers brought some of the finest chocolates I have ever eaten from Switzerland this morning. You know that country is noted for it’s fine candy, and I believe it is worthy of the praise every one gives it. It is very difficult to get it out of the country, but sometimes, it does happen. Another brought some from Holland, which was very good, but nothing in comparison to the Swiss chocolates.
   I suppose a number of the boys are back home already with their harrowing tails of the firing line. Well, those who were there are worthy of every consideration in this wide world. I heard from Ed Parry a few days ago, and he sails possibly this wee for the States, and he was right in the midst of that eventful drive of September 26th and came out without a scratch. Remarkable isn’t it. I hear from Mother and Jessie every day or tow now, and keep on writing and don’t  think I might be fortunate enough to get to some Evacuation Camp.

  Sincerely, Edgar

No comments: