Banana Wars Letter U.S. Marine Seibo, Dominican Republic, April 6, 1919

This letter was written by a U.S. Marine, who was involved in the “Banana Wars”. The letter was written from Seibo (El Seibo), Dominican Republic, April 6, 1919. From the letter…..

Dear Vera,

   Again our company is the goat and we are in the mountains for another ? Months. Your last letter came just before we set off for this place and in the hustle and bustle of a quick departure your letter was left with my mail in Macoris.
   I had just got settled in the city and was getting ready to Santo Domingo City when we hurried out to this town. The cause of such a move, was to concentrate our company which was divided between two places. Now we are all in this place and each week sees three or four of our number going home. This move of men going home is making old man gloom prevalent among us more strongly than before. I don’t know how long it will be before I get home, but I hope it is soon.
   Our camp is located on the top of a hill at the bottom of which runs a nice river where we swim. We sleep in tents and have our own cooks, who put out he best food in any company of our Brigade. Of course I am gaining weight and am now up to my normal weight. The funniest thing happened since I have had the flu, my hair started to fall out. All my good head of hair went to pieces and after debating over the matter, of having my hair clipped all off, I finally decided upon it yesterday.
   How that I have no more to say tonight, I will close hoping that you are in the best of health.

Your friend,


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: