Camp Chamberlain Brunswick Maine, WWI letter 1917

This letter was written by a Captain at Camp Chamberlain, in Brunswick Maine, during WWI. The letter was postmarked August 4, 1917. From the letter…..

   I was awfully sorry that I could not get a chance to write you yesterday, but when just about to turn in I had orders to get a Vocational Roster of my company and have my non-commissioned officers picked out by midnight so I had to turn to that so when  I got to bed it was twelve o’clock.
   Everything is going fine over here. Our company is really getting settled down and it is beginning to look as though sometime they would make a good company. I have a hard proposition because of it’s size it is unwieldy and hard to manage. About four of five of the officers have been in telling tales of running the Sentinels.
   When I have time to think, which is between 10 and 12 P.M., about you two dear old souls I get kind of blue, but as you say let us hope and pray that the “Boshes”  will be whipped soon and we can settle down right.
   We had a lottery the other night for the question of seniority of Captains and I got number seven out of fourteen, which made me feel kind of good although I was not the highest I am enclosing the slip for my memo book.
   Last night I saw the first Bath people that I have seen the first was Ralph Stetson, who I used to pal around with a good deal, the second and third were Dayton and Warren Hawley. They found me about ten fifteen while I was running around trying to get my roster fixed up, and I guess I tired the boys out, having them chase me.
   Today I measured and fitted my Battery to their shoes which has to be personally done by the Captain. So now I am an expert shoe fitter. Talk about dirty stinking feet. Honey, you should have seen and had a whiff of some of those 414 feet that I saw and measured today. I also am directly responsible for the feet of the men so if a fellow has a sore or something the matter I have to see that it is fixed right up. Oh, this is some job.       
   Ralph Coffee goes to Bangor to get married tonight I told him to call you up and let you know how I was getting along, and planned to get this letter along with him, but because of interruptions, I have not been able to. Well dearest, I must stop now as I am hardly able to keep my eyes open.

Love,


3 comments:

Bob said...

This camp appears to be a National Guard camp. The August date is close to the time when NG people had their summer encampments. Of course, with the start of WW I, and the letter's content, this appears to be a group of NG people who have been called up.

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I think you are right about it being a National Guard camp. He also wrote this letter: http://herolettersww1.blogspot.com/2009/07/wwi-ww1-letter-milliken-regimental.html Here is some good postal history on it. http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_1/70000/70345/1/preview/YDexhibitpreview.pdf

Bob said...

My book about WWI camps in the United States:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/domestic-united-states-military-facilities-of-the-first-world-war-1917-1919/8408401